We built this website to bring all Sacramento-related music content into one easy to use place.
– Content from Sacramento artists performing anywhere in the world
– Any content of artists performing in Sacramento (or surrounding area)
– Any content documented by a Sacramento resident, anywhere (photos, audio, video, flyers)
– Any significant content that was archived by a Sacramento resident.
Here are some tips regarding the site:
– Viewing the website on a desktop/laptop provides a WAY better experience for you- highly recommended. I mean, you could use a phone or tablet, but see below for some stuff you might miss:
– The archive has 4 ways to search for content. I will outline each as they appear from top to bottom on the RH navigation pane of the website
1. Search the archive: The search capability allows you to search by keyword throughout the titles and descriptions of the archive. This is my #1 way to find stuff myself. This searches title and description.
2. Filter by band name, venue and more! This is a cool word cloud feature that (in theory) sizes all content on the website, and correlates them into text size. We have so much stuff that not all bands are represented, but it is a nice way to browse.
3. Browse by Month: You can browse content by the month/year that the performance took place. It is a fun way to go way back and see all of the cattle club shows in chronological order, for example.
4. Browse by category: You can filter by Audio recordings only, video only, flyers, etc.
Or, you can just scroll down below this post to see everything in reverse chronological order.
Due to the unique chronological nature of the site, it is easy to miss posts since they do not post to the top (I post things from the 80s all the time). If you’d like to be informed of any new posts, please sign up for the facebook group here. It is for new posts to the archive only, so you won’t be spammed: https://www.facebook.com/groups/405563493249982/
I (Shayne) also posted my list of tapes here: https://sacramentomusicarchive.com/tape-lists/
if you want something posted, let me know. I will add it to my list of stuff to do.
If you have Sacramento-related content that you would like to add to the archive, please contact me! We can give you an editor login if you’d like to keep your content on your youtube site, or you can loan me your tapes for transfer and post from the 3 cameras and a microphone YT channel.
Formats that we can transfer:
– DAT (Digital Audio tape) via Sony PCMR500 & multiple other decks/Audiophile 2496 capture card
– Audio cassettes via Nakamichi Dragon/Audiophile 2496 capture card
– Reel to Reel (7″ & 10″ reels, 3.75 & 7.5ips) via Teac X-10R/Audiophile 2496 capture card
– Minidisc via Yamaha MDX-793 (optical transfers into TDK CD Recorder)
– VHS Tapes via JVC HRS9800U/9900U/9911U (VCR w/TBC) & Canopus ADVC300
– PAL VHS via Philips VR1000 (PAL VCR with TBC)/Canopus
– Rest of world VHS formats (Secam/etc) via Samsung SV-5000W/Canopus
– 8mm videotapes via Sony DCR-TRV340
– MiniDV via multiple cameras
– VHSC Videotapes via VHSC Adapter into JVC HRS9800/Canopus
– Beta via multiple decks/Canopus
– Umatic via Sony VO9800/Canopus
Which brings me to my last point. Do you want to help preserve history? Let me know. I need help posting stuff! Pay is zero, but you’ll feel good about contributing to a good cause.